Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bruxism-teeth grinding...after SSRI?

i have acquired a day time teeth grinding(bruxism) after taking anti depressant (sertaline- ssri) i cant stop the medince but i want to stop my teeth grinding..doest really happen at night....please help.....

Bruxism-teeth grinding...after SSRI?
I have a similar habit when stressed despite SSRI%26#039;s. I mainly have it at night now. I wear a splint to help me. It is likely that if you have it during the day you will have it at night. I was able to break the habit during the day. I did this by making sure that I asked myself regularly during the day %26quot;am I grinding%26quot;. It takes a while to break the habit. It can be broken. It will take patience and persistence. If you work with someone who can ask you through out the day are you grinding. It is helpful. Or maybe get your partner to txt you.
Reply:Teeth grinding is a fairly common side effect of SSRI%26#039;s.


I suffered with it as well after beginning anti depressant therapy and developed terrible headaches as a result of the constant grinding and jaw clenching.





There are mouth pieces that you can buy at pharmacies for around $20 that are made to be molded to your individual tooth/mouth shape and prevent the grinding. These are difficult to wear during the day though if you%26#039;re required to speak at all.


A mouthpiece made for you by a dentist fits much better, though much more expensive, around $300, and can be worn during the day with minimal effects on your speech.





How long have you been on the SSRI?


The good news is that many of the side effects related to taking SSRI%26#039;s often go away after 8-12 weeks or so.


However, the damage the bruxism may do would be permanant.





Please speak with your doctor as he/she may have a better solution.





It always amazed me how many STRANGE side effects SSRI%26#039;s can cause!



accessories

1 comment:

  1. Teeth grinding is one thing that many people don't take into account as being a requirement. This article will explain to you the simplest way to get your the teeth grinding.

    Teeth Grinding

    ReplyDelete